Friday 21 May 2010

Nosey people must not read this...

I recently had the chance to visit Oxford again and was reminded how frustrating I find that city.  Don't get me wrong, I adore the place - its history and its architecture just hook me every time I visit, but a nosey person like me tends to feel thwarted and blocked at every corner.  You see there are inviting doors and alleyways like these:


There is loads to explore, but the problem is too many of them say ghastly, horrible things like 'Private', or 'Closed to Visitors' or 'Residents only'.    
Signs like that make it even worse for nosey folk like me.  That just makes me want to discover even more.  

I get a sense that the joy I get from seeing the external beauty of the place is just a mere scratch on the surface of what I could see if I could get behind closed doors.  Can you imagine the paintings, the furniture, the stories, the gardens, all just sitting there waiting for me to meet them. 

Maybe one day someone will phone me and announce that I have a key to the city of Oxford with the freedom to wander at will.  No porters to stop me, no door I cannot walk through.  Anyone?  Anyone?

Oh well.  

But luckily for me I do happen to have an insider who can get me access to some far better sights and sounds than an Oxford college or quadrangle.  He has told me that "whoso knocketh, to him will he open".  Although, I have to admit He does have some conditions.
and the wise , and the learned, and they that are rich, who are puffed up because of their learning, and their wisdom, and their riches - yea, they are they whom he despiseth; and save they shall cast these things away, and consider themselves fools before God, and come down in the depths of humility, he will not open unto them.  (2 Nephi 9:42)
Plus the good news is that my 'insider' is not exclusive to me.  Sadly, if you are anything like me, you will find the natural man  often forgets to knock.  I'm often so busy looking at all the outside stuff I forget about the treasures waiting for me inside.  

All things considered I doubt I'll ever get behind the closed doors of Oxford.  But... I have a bright hope and assurance that eternal doors are open to me if I just learn to do the appropriate knocking.

No comments:

Post a Comment