Monday 10 May 2010

Father Christmas or Superman?

Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God." Corrie Ten Boom

My son Jacob is a constant source of entertainment for us.  He was making his career choices a while ago.
"I want to be Sportacus, a dragon or Father Christmas" he declared.
Later on he decided he couldn't wear three costumes at once, so he was just going to be Santa.
I pointed out to him that this meant he would not get presents himself, but he was "okay" about that.

In his new upcoming role as seasonal gift giver he informed me that the reason they use reindeers is because the Elf cars break down.  I did not know that.  Amazing what you can learn from your little ones.

The day after these revelations he had obviously been giving other vocations some consideration since he came to us and said:  "I don't want to be Superman."
"Why?"
"I don't want to be on TV."

I have no real preference as to which career path he finally chooses.   I think being the father of Superman or Father Christmas is pretty cool.   Not too keen on the dragon one, but if that is what he really wants to do...

His future employment is an unknown right now.  His Choice to serve a mission, his choice to marry in the temple, his choice to stay faithful are all mysteries at this point in his young life.   But, now, right now, I can teach him to trust and to love his Heavenly Father and Saviour and  if he can grasp that I think he can take on anything (although I will insist he wears his underpants on the inside of his trousers).
Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God
."  Corrie Ten Boom

No comments:

Post a Comment