Thursday 17 February 2011

...and I'm NOT a Mormon!

I just read an excellent article by a non-Mormon which discussed the prejudice many Americans have against voting for a Mormon as their President. You can  click through to the article here:  On Faith...

Anyhow, his column and the flow of comments afterwards made me think of a brand new ad campaign for the Church.  I suspect by now most of you have seen the "...and I'm a Mormon" ad campaigns.  If you haven't seen them click through and take a gander at Mormon.org
In a nutshell, a member describes their job, their values etc. and then at the end declares "...and I'm a Mormon."  They are very well done, and successfully portray the wide variety of Latter-day Saints.

Right here's my new ad idea...

First, you round up a load of non-Mormons.  When I say "round up" I don't mean like a press gang with baseball bats or wild Relief Society sisters with those lethal British handbags.  See  Don't mess with grannies with handbags  .  No, I mean a polite invitation to friendly folk....okay let me start again...
First, you invite friendly non-Mormons to share their thoughts.

Then you film them sharing the reasons they like Mormons, and to clinch it all off, they finish with the line "...and I'm NOT a Mormon."    So taking quotes (edited) from the article and the comments you'd hear things like:
"Mormons love America, they urge good behavior on their members, and promote many traditional American values. If that bothers you, vote for somebody else--but Mormons will fight and die in the American forces for your right to do so.  ....and I'm NOT a Mormon."
"The Mormon church is a free market model for private charity. I have personally seen Mormons help families that were not members. The charity gave work-centered help that met needs without sacrificing dignity. The commendable community found in Mormonism should be imitated not attacked.....and I'm NOT a Mormon."
"Being right is powerful and most Mormons are right on many of today's big issues: the nature of family, the protection of life, defense of religious liberty, and republican values.  Traditional Christians should learn from their example and patriotic Americans should celebrate their effective service....and I'm NOT a Mormon."
I don't know if any non-Mormons would feel comfortable enough, or brave enough, or convinced enough to put their convictions into such an ad in our defense, but I like the idea anyway.

Oh, and just for the record, I AM a Mormon.

1 comment: