Monday 21 June 2010

Father's blessings...

On Sunday, amidst the celebration of Dads on Father's day, priesthood blessings were mentioned and it reminded me of a tender moment with my son Jacob and Luke.  We have a family tradition that on the first day back to school all the children have a father's blessing as they start their new school year.  All the other children sit quietly and listen to each blessing.  It is one of those quiet, gentle moments (we don't see many quiet moments in our house ... which makes them all the more special).

It was Jacob's very first year at school and I gave him his blessing.  When I finished he looked up and said "Can we do that again?"

Luke was watching (he had started back to school the day before, so had already had his blessing) and he chirped in "Can I have another one?"

I hope as they grow, become teens and stretch their wings those two boys will continue to recognise those sweet, simple promptings.  I, like most parents, will be anxiously hoping and praying that they will always be wanting to have those experiences again and again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment